Ypsilanti Real Estate Guide: An Overview
Are you searching for the perfect community to call home? Look no further than Ypsilanti, Michigan! From its historic neighborhoods like Midtown, Riverside, and South Side, to its unique dining, shopping, and arts venues, Ypsilanti has something for everyone. Plus, with a variety of real estate options available, you’re sure to find your dream home. Keep reading to learn more about this vibrant town and all it has to offer for those interested in Ypsilanti real estate.
Ypsilanti, also known as Ypsi, is a small but vibrant city located in Washtenaw County, Michigan. With a population of just over 20,000 people, Ypsilanti is an eclectic and diverse community known for its historic architecture, arts and culture scene, and great dining options. Whether you’re looking for a place to settle down, start a business, or just visit, Ypsilanti has something to offer everyone.
Ypsilanti’s History: From a Frontier Town to a Thriving Community
Ypsilanti has a rich history dating back to the early 19th century when the first settlers arrived. The town was named after Demetrios Ypsilantis, a Greek hero of the Greek War of Independence who fought against the Ottoman Empire. Ypsilanti played a vital role in Michigan’s industrial history as it was home to several factories that produced automobiles, railcars, and other products.
One of the most notable landmarks in Ypsi is the historic Ypsilanti Water Tower, which was built in 1890 and is a symbol of the town’s industrial heritage. The tower stands 147 feet tall and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and it is just one of several landmarks which helps contribute to the feel and flavor of Ypsilanti real estate.
The Hottest Neighborhoods for Ypsilanti Real Estate
Ypsilanti is home to several unique and diverse neighborhoods that offer a range of housing options, from historic homes to modern apartments. Here are some of the most popular neighborhoods in Ypsi:
Located just west of downtown Ypsi, Normal Park is a historic neighborhood that is home to several beautiful homes dating back to the early 20th century. The neighborhood is named after the Michigan State Normal College, which was founded in 1849 and is now known as Eastern Michigan University.
Located in the heart of Ypsi, College Heights is a diverse and vibrant neighborhood that is home to many college students and young professionals. The neighborhood is within walking distance to downtown Ypsi and the Eastern Michigan University campus. It also has some dining and shopping destinations within a block or two’s distance, and for these reasons College Heights is continually a sought-after option in the Ypsilanti real estate market.
Depot Town is a historic district located just east of downtown Ypsi. The neighborhood is home to several unique shops, restaurants, and bars, as well as the historic Ypsilanti Freighthouse and Riverside Park.
Located in the heart of Ypsilanti, Midtown is a vibrant and diverse neighborhood known for its historic homes, beautiful tree-lined streets, and proximity to downtown. With a mix of single-family homes, apartments, and townhouses, Midtown is a popular choice for families, young professionals, and students. The neighborhood is also home to a variety of local businesses, restaurants, and shops.
Riverside is a peaceful and scenic neighborhood located along the Huron River, just north of downtown Ypsilanti. Known for its victorian farmhouses and for its close access to the river, Riverside offers a quiet tree-lined area just steps from downtown. The neighborhood is also home to some of Ypsilanti’s coolest real estate, with a mix of architectural designs and features which makes it a unique place to live.
Ypsilanti’s downtown area offers a colorful mix of shops, restaurants, bars, apartments and cultural attractions. With a mix of historic properties of many styles and some modern buildings intermixed, downtown Ypsilanti is a popular destination for locals and visitors alike. The neighborhood is home to a variety of housing options, including apartments, lofts, carriage houses and single family homes interspersed here. It also has many mixed-use historic properties with uncommon architectural features; and for these reasons we decided to make Ypsi’s historic downtown our company’s home base.
The Historic South Side neighborhood is a charming and historic area located just south of downtown Ypsilanti. Known for its beautiful Victorian homes and tree-lined streets, the South Side is a popular choice for families and those looking for a quiet, residential area with a good value. The neighborhood is also home to a variety of parks and community spaces.
Ypsilanti Dining and Shopping: The Best Spots to Visit
- Sidetrack Bar & Grill – A popular spot for burgers and craft beer. https://www.sidetrackbarandgrill.com/ | (734) 483-1035
- Ma Lou’s Fried Chicken – Serves Nashville-style hot chicken and sides. https://www.malousfriedchicken.com/ | (734) 905-7225
- The Wurst Bar – Offers unique sausages, poutine, and craft beer. http://www.wurstbarypsi.com/ | (734) 485-6720
- C King & Co Cafe – Features authentic Italian-style pizza and drinks in a cozy atmosphere. https://ckingcafe.com/ | (734) 510-9871
- Maiz Mexican Cantina – Authentic, scratch-made Mexican cuisine in Depot Town. https://maizmexican.com/ | (734) 340-6010
- The Rocket – A vintage store that offers retro clothing and accessories. https://www.rocketypsi.com/ | (734) 483-2291
- Materials Unlimited – Specializes in architectural salvage and antique hardware. https://www.materialsunlimited.com/ | (734) 483-6980
- Mix – A boutique that features handmade and locally sourced gifts, jewelry, and art. https://www.facebook.com/mix.ypsi/ | (734) 961-8704
- Ypsilanti Farmers Market – Offers fresh produce, baked goods, and artisanal products. https://www.ypsilantifarmersmarket.org/ | (734) 707-1795
- The Riverside Arts Center – Features visual and performing arts exhibitions, classes, and events. https://www.riversidearts.org/ | (734) 480-2787
- Ziggy’s – A coffee shop and bar that hosts live music, open mic, and community events in a cozy atmosphere. https://www.ziggysypsistore.com/
- Michigan Firehouse Museum – Exhibits historic firefighting equipment and memorabilia. http://michiganfirehousemuseum.org/ | (734) 547-0663
- Ypsilanti Water Tower – A historic landmark that offers panoramic views of the city. https://www.ypsilantiwatertower.com/ | (734) 482-7722
- Riverside Park – Our favorite park in downtown Ypsilanti also hosts local events such as the Michigan Beer Festival